Thursday 16 August 2012

Making paper planes


To be honest when we were told we had to reflect on an experience of children using non- digital technology I was a little confused. But through doing some research I discovered that technology is all around us. It is not only computers or cameras. Technology is about gaining new knowledge, and through this problems can be solved (Fleer & Jane, 2011; Gibbson, 2006). It is with this thinking that I went into the centre to see if I could see children exploring and experiencing non digital technologies.

Here is N folding his airoplane
I had an experience with non-digital technology with one child N. There is a big interest in paper planes at the moment. Through discussions with the other staff and reflecting on this I decided to teach children how to make their own paper planes, instead of making them for the children.  To do this I role modelled (Macnaughton & Williams, 2009) what to do, I was surprised at how quickly the children began to pick it up.

N saw me showing some children how to make their planes, but I was already half way through showing them. This meant that he had to wait so I could show him from the beginning. By the time I was ready to show him all his friends were off playing with their planes they had created. I think seeing his friends playing with their planes caused him to feel like he had to rush, because he wanted to join in and have fun too. I noticed that he was quickly doing the folding. He finished and went to try it out. Soon he came running back to me, all upset. He said “Aunty, it’s not working, it’s broken!”I said to him “Hmm, N what do you mean it’s broken?” he then proceeded to show me.  I suggested that together we could see if we could make it work better. Together we used the paper and our combined knowledge to solve his problem (it took three or four goes at it, but he did get there).

Folding the paper meant he was using it in a different way than the most obvious, which to me is drawing or creating art on it. He was able to solve a problem that he had, which was that his plane didn't work properly. Through this experience N was also following a technological process. He made the paper plane, tested it out, and when it didn't work like he thought it would he (with a little help and encouragement from me) made some improvements. He kept following this process until he achieved what he wanted (Fleer & Jane, 2011), which was a paper plane that would fly straight and high ‘just like your one Aunty’.

According to Te Whariki through technology and solving problems children can gain a sense of self-confidence (Ministry of Education, 1996).   I think by using his new found knowledge to solve the problem N was beginning to achieve this. When he finally had his plane I think he felt very pleased with himself, and confident that he could find a way to solve this problem. I think this because he had a huge smile on this face.

Smorti (1999) believes that children learn about technology the same way the do with everything, which is through doing it themselves. I agree with this, and to be honest this is also how I learn. I was taught the skills and knowledge that I have about making a paper plane from my dad, but it was through actually doing it and trying it out that I learnt exactly how to do it.
This is the first airoplane N made
I will continue to put what I have learnt into practice when I am working with young children and non-digital technologies. I am beginning to see this every day I am at the centre.


References
Fleer, M. & Jane, B. (2001). Design and technology for children. (3rd ed.). Australia: pearson Australia.
Gibbson, A.N. (2006). The politics of technology in early childhood in Aoteaora New Zealand: fitting early childhood educators in the ITC grid. Australian journal of early childhood 31 (4) 7-14
MacNaughton, G., & Williams, G. (2009). Techniques for teaching young children: Choices in theory and practice (3rd ed.). Frenchs Forrest, Australia: Pearson Prentice Hall.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999) Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 19, 5-10.


4 comments:

  1. Ka pai Nicola,

    I really enjoyed reading your reflection. I totally agree with you that learning process is more important than the final product. Children do need to learn that it is ok to make mistakes. We learn from trial and errors. Thousands of failures contribute to the final success. I am glad that you were there with the boy to look for solutions together. You found several ways the paper plane did not work at first and then eventually made the plane work. I believe this experiment experience provided a chance for N. to learn that every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward. Thomas Edison claimed that “I didn’t fail 1000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1000 steps”.

    I also think it is a good experience involving technology for N. to develop his perseverance. Maybe you could reflect on that aspect next time: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Nicola
    Another great entry. yes , technology is everywhere. Isn't it surprising that we only think of digital technology but forget about the ones that we use everyday and has been with us for ages, such as a comb. I agree with you that we do need to become more aware of the technology around us and teach the children the same.
    Making paper planes are tricky and it takes a bit of practice to get it right. you helped the child to do his best to make the paper plane to the best of his satisfaction. I also appreciate that you let the child do the planes himself and I believe that the best way children learn is by doing it themselves.
    keep up with your good work.




    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post Nicola! It is really different to see technology through the lens of it being non-digital. Yes, I think our eyes have all been opened in this regard. It is great that you are making an effort to see children’s use of technology in ways you had never seen before.

    I liked that you taught the children how to make their own planes, and therefore contributed to their sense of empowerment and confidence. As N made improvements to his plane he was indeed solving his problem in order to make it work and therefore engaging in creating technology. I think however that you could have expanded about the significance that this non-digital experience had on N.

    A thought to ponder on is... ‘is there only one way to make a plane?’ N had to make it so it was like the other planes. He was therefore making it uniform to what the other children made and what you taught. Maybe you could ask N, why he thought the plane was not working, and compare the two styles. Perhaps by providing a book with a range of different paper planes, the children could be involved in investigating different styles and discuss what they believe makes a plane fly high and straight. This could lead to them experimenting with creating their own plane. I think that would extend the children’s problem solving and contribute to their development of using non-digital technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicola, thanks for sharing this insightful reflection. It’s nice that you discovered children’s interest –which is making paper planes and reflected on the technological experience that was recognized by you.

    It is great that you have chosen to teach children how to make planes rather than making planes for them. Sometimes we are lack of patient and rather get things done for children, and it is actually not a good way of nurturing children’s problem-solving skills. I agree with you that we learn the skill through actually doing things and trying things out, I believe children learn better through that way, the technological process itself gives children the opportunity to explore and experiment, and through the process, children gain new knowledge and self-confidence, which I think is very important.

    Since N has learnt how to make paper planes through testing it out, next time you could encourage him to teach other children, it is not only a tuakana-teine learning experience, but also a good opportunity of fostering N’s knowledge of how to fold the paper plane.

    ReplyDelete