Friday 10 August 2012

Exploring a camera


On Monday I had my camera out and asked a girl B if I could take her photo. She agreed, so I did. When I was done she asked if she could see it. I showed her the button you push to see the photos. When we had finished looking at the photo she said “Aunty, can I have a turn?” To begin with I was a little hesitant to give B my camera. This was because we don't usually do that at my centre. But I thought to myself, ‘it’s my camera, so I can give it to her’. I showed her how to put her hand through the string so she didn't drop the camera. I also reminded her to ask her friends before taking their photos.

I am constantly taking photos of the children throughout the day. I think that cameras are a great piece of digital technology for us as educators to use in centres. They allow us to capture those special moments children have and then share them with other staff, children and their whanau. Te Whariki states “children's development occurs through active participation in activities” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 64). Knowing that this is one of the ways that children learn, I thought to myself why not involve B (and other children) in learning appropriate ways to use technology by letting them try it out themselves.

According to the New Zealand Curriculum it is important for children to learn about how different forms of technology work and the ethics that surround that piece of technology (Ministry of Education, 2007). Fleer & Jane (2001) believe it is important to show children there is are both positives and negatives of technology, and to try and keep it balanced so children learn to make appropriate decisions about using technology. I agree with both of these authors. In this case I think the negative or ethical issue of a camera is we can take photos of anyone and anything. I think we need to be aware of this, and act in appropriate ways. For example, asking the children if it is ok to take their photos, and not taking photos if they say no. I hope by role modelling (Macnaughton & Williams, 2009) asking children if I can take their photos, and reminding B to do this she was learning to use the camera in an appropriate and ethical way.

This is a photo  B took of me after
asking me if it was ok.
Next time I was at the centre B asked me if she could use my camera, I agreed. Soon other children noticed her doing this and wanted to have a turn too.  In the Maori culture it is believed that children learn through Tuakanna teina which is a sort of buddy system, where an older or more experienced child is buddied up with a younger or less experienced child. The aim is for the older child to help the younger child learn and develop (Tamati, 2005).  I think this is one way children learn. In this case B was the more experienced child, and with some encouragement she was able to help the other children learn. She did this by showing them what to do, and sharing her knowledge about the camera and how it worked.

I think the strategies I used worked well in this experience. I was able to help the children learn about a piece of technology that is used daily in our centre. Cameras are becoming very popular, and children will no doubt use cameras themselves sometime. I hope I was able to help children understand that although cameras are great we need to use them in ethical ways, which to me is very important. I will continue to let the children use my camera, and remind them about the rules.


References
Fleer, M. & Jane, B. (2001). Design and technology for children. (3rd ed.). Australia: pearson Australia. 
MacNaughton, G., & Williams, G. (2009). Techniques for teaching young children: Choices in theory and practice (3rd ed.). Frenchs Forrest, NSW, Australia: Pearson Prentice Hall. 
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
 Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Retrieved from http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/
Tamati, A. (2005). The concept of AKO: Co-construction of knowledge from Kaupapa Maori perspective, (pp. 23-31).





5 comments:

  1. Thank you Nicola for an insightful blog into your developing thinking into children's use of cameras. It is great that you recognise the significance of children being given the opportunity to use cameras and that you have been giving children who do not usually get this opportunity to do so.

    I found it interesting that you took the perspective of teaching the children ethics. Asking before taking photos is very respectful and I see how it is important for children's learning of technology. This has challenged me to do likewise in my teaching.

    The social interaction of the children teaching each other is also a significant learning opportunity which is great that you noticed and responded to.

    Perhaps you could have talked more the photos that the children took in regards to their developing creativity. I have noticed that photos also gain a deeper perspective of what children's interests and thoughts are depending on the subjects of their photos.

    Overall a great blog, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your thoughts on technology with children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Nicola.I believe that easy access to use cameras is important for children to have experience of technology. In reality, for some reasons, children do not have many opportunities to explore cameras in early childhood settings.

    For my self,digital technology access was almost nil when I was in primary school and just like you, I also hesitated to give children a camera. But seeing their interest in digital cameras, makes me realise that digital technology is part of most children,s everyday life. Therefore we as teachers should make these things readily available for the children so that they become more competent at using these technologies.

    However, I also agree with you that children should be taught the ethics around technology so they do not abuse it. I also liked the concept of Tuakanna teina,that you used to help the other children learn. I think at times children's peers are better teachers then the adults.
    It will be a good idea to let the children revisit their experience once the photos are printed.
    Thanks for an awesome blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicola, I really enjoyed reading your post, it is interesting how we looked at the same thing from different directions. It is great that you let the children use your camera, at the same time, you taught the children to use the camera safely so that they wouldn’t drop the camera, Ka pai!

    It is great that you also mentioned about the ethics of using camera, I also believe it is important to teach children about things to be aware of while using camera. I really liked how you have mentioned about the Maori concept “tuakanna teine” while an older child is teaching a younger child. And it is interesting that in my post, I see this as the zone of proximal development.

    Maybe something you can think more about could be the benefit of children using cameras. I read a book ICT in the early years (O’Hara, 2004) and I found it quite helpful, you may want to have a read too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nicola,

    What a beautiful photo!!! What an awesome photographer!!! What a thoughtful reflection!!!

    I have to say that we have many thoughts in common. I have come across several similar scenarios before and have found that children are so eager to learn new ICT skills and knowledge. They like cameras no less than the traditional technology such as play dough, bubbles and etc. They love taking photos of each other, adults and anything else they are interested in. They love watching themselves in the cameras, too. They don’t always get a good shoot, but that is ok, because they will shoot more. That is how they learn: trial and error. As an educator, it is our roles to be role models, facilitators and scaffolders. We should provide more hands-on opportunities to meet children’s needs and scaffold them to gain the skills to manipulate the cameras. I advise you to introduce the uses of cameras to children. Besides, I agree that children pick up new knowledge from each other very quick. Children are very generous to share their knowledge and teach each other.

    I really like your point of using cameras in ethical ways. I will teach children that in my centre as well: ))

    ReplyDelete