Friday 24 August 2012

Building a ramp


Here L and a friend are putting the
finishing touches on their
ramp.
Today I noticed something interesting going on in our block corner. I noticed L was constructing something with blocks. He had used lots of blocks and made a ramp that went down from one of the shelves. This ramp then had another ramp built into it. When I moved into the block area L was testing out his creation by rolling a ‘wheel down it’. He was very interested and told me all about what he had done and why. For example, he said “look Aunty, it goes like this. I show you”, he then showed me how it worked.  He also said “push really hard” to me when I tried to make my wheel go down and it didn't get over the second ramp.

From reflecting and thinking about this I can see that this is another example of a child using Non-digital technology in my centre. To be honest when I moved into the block corner I was not looking with my technological lens. I was just moving around the indoors environment and saw L playing with his creation. It wasn’t until I actually sat down and talked to him about what he was doing and why that I noticed I could look at this through a technological lens. This was eye opening to me.

L is now trying it out.
Through using the blocks to construct this ramp L was gaining new knowledge (Fleer & Jane, 2001). I think he was doing this through trial and error. I think this because I asked him why he used a triangle block. He replied “because I can jump over and make it jump right to the end”. From this I assume that at some point he must have tried using other shaped blocks and seen that the triangle was the best shape to use there. I assume this is because when there were no more triangle blocks available I suggested (Macnaughton & Williams, 2009) that he try a square block. He said “when that was there it went crash”.  

The New Zealand Curriculum states “in Technology, students learn to be innovative developers of products and systems” (Ministry of Education, 2007, p. 17). I believe that through this experience L was doing this. Using this technology and his increasing knowledge L was able to think about what he wanted to achieve, and then develop something that would do that. I think adding the ramp to the ramp was very innovative.

Through using the techniques of questioning and listening (MacNaughton & Williams, 2009) I was able to gain a deeper understanding of what L was doing and begin to see why he was doing it. I was also able to see this experience through a technological lens, which I am beginning to use more and more.

Other children are now becoming interesting.
L is showing them how it works.
According to Gibbson, (2006) technology is everywhere, and it is the teacher’s role to plan for it. I agree with this. But I think before we can plan for ways to extend children's learning we need to observe children and see where they are at. From observing L I can see that he has an interest in constructing, and he enjoys rolling things and seeing what happens. Looking at this through a technological lenes I can see that he is interested in gaining new knowledge through trial and error. Knowing this I can now think about how I can extend on this learning. For example, we have some tyres sitting in the shed. I could ask if he wants to use them when we are outside.

I really enjoyed this experience with L and finding out more about what he was creating. I will continue to use these techniques as I found them effective. I will also continue to use my technological lens and see what other exciting things I can see in the centre.



This is the ramp. it is very long, it goes all the way across the block area.



References

Fleer, M. & Jane, B. (2001). Design and technology for children. (3rd ed.). Australia: pearson Australia.
MacNaughton, G., & Williams, G. (2009). Techniques for teaching young children: Choices in theory and practice (3rd ed.). Frenchs Forrest, NSW, Australia: Pearson Prentice Hall.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Retrieved from http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/
Gibbson, A.N. (2006). The politics of technology in early childhood in Aoteaora New Zealand: fitting early childhood educators in the ITC grid. Australian journal of early childhood 31 (4) 7-14

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicola,

    Thank you for sharing such an insightful reflection with us :)

    It is very interesting to read reflections from a technology lens. That is quite stimulating. I started to view resources and activities in my center in a technological way and think technologically now.

    In the reflection, you mentioned that children’s learning happened in this activity is beyond creativity. You acknowledged the value of the technical process of constructing the ramp children engaged in and said children were practicing their problem solving skills and tested out their thoughts through error and trial. Those are great ideas, and I agree with you that it is very beneficial for children to get involved in technology activities.

    You also debated that thinking technologically not only benefited children but also the teachers. That is very insightful, and I totally agree with you. I think thinking technologically actually gives us a chance to see through the appearance to the essence.

    I have found the following reading is quite interesting, you can have a look.

    Clements, D. H., & Sarama, J. (2003). Young children and technology: What does the research say? Young Children, November, pp.34-40.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicola for sharing this reflection. It is great that you have recognized the technological experience after you took a deeper look into and reflected on it.

    Sometimes we can be amazed by children’s creativeness and imagination. Look at the ramp that L has built, it was really a great work. He has even figured out what shape of block make the ramp work better. It is so good to see that he has gained new knowledge through trial and error. I also believe that technological activity demands a lot of patience, the process of trial and error is a good opportunity to nurture children’s perseverance.

    it is true that technology is all around us, your reflection has also encouraged me to look at children’s play through a technological lens more often. What I could suggest is keep on supporting children’s technological learning in your practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Nicola, this is a great post! That ramp is incredible. It really does show L engaging in creative technology and problem solving, as he built the ramp and reconstructed it so the wheel did not crash. Kai pai for taking the time to be amazed L's design and see the technology L was constructing. I am reminded of a professional development day took part in at my centre where Anne Hathoway encouraged us to "make the familiar strange". By taking the time to observe children through “eyes like a child” we can regain our sense of wonder through what the child is experiencing and constructing. You acknowledged the need to observe children to see where they are at. By recognising what L is interested in, you have more knowledge on how to foster his technological interests by using teaching techniques and supplying additional resources he may find of interest.

    Good on you for reflecting on two pieces of non-digital technology. It has been awesome to read what you have experienced in your centre and the learning that is taking place for you.

    ReplyDelete